International Online Mediation Conference – 7th Leipzig Mediation Forum – The Steinbeis Days – with Allison Malkin
International Workshop: Exploring culture in mediation – Where are we coming from and where are we going?
– with Allison Malkin on 23.06.2021
Culture is learned through our living environment and is subject to influence and change throughout our lives. Our cultural backgrounds provide us with a sense of identity and belonging, and ultimately shape the lens’ through which we see the world. Developing deeper self-awareness of our values, beliefs and perceptions; and investigating how these link to our environment, strengthen our ability as practitioners and serve to benefit parties to a mediation in myriad ways.
Mediating across cultures requires a varied toolkit, which recognises diversity and appreciates nuance. Curiosity will be our guide as together, we:
- explore where we are coming from as practitioners
- introduce prevailing cultural theories and case examples from our mediation practice
- consider ‘context’ as mediators working across cultures and borders
- identify resources for use in our practice going forward